Sunday, October 24, 2010

prayer


It was a blessing to worship this morning at Cross of Glory Lutheran Church in Mounds View, Minnesota. The guest preacher was Rev. Wendell Frerichs, Professor Emeritus of Old Testament at Luther Seminary in St. Paul. His theme, following the Gospel text from Luke 18:9-14, was prayer. Central to his message was the following prayer by Charles Whiston, which Pastor Frerichs uses in his daily devotions. We would do well to follow his example:

Christ's claim:  
I am your Lord Jesus Christ. 
I was the agent of my Father in creating you. 
I died on the cross and rose from the dead for you. 
Therefore, you do not belong to yourself.
You belong to me.
Will you give yourself to me for today?
My response:
O Lord Christ, in obedience to your claim on me,
I surrender myself to you anew today,
all that I am, all that I have,
to be wholly and unconditionally yours for your using of me.
Take me away from myself and my preoccupation with myself.
Use me up as you will,
when you will, where you will,
with whom you will.
Amen.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

free web hit counter