Thursday, July 17, 2008

grace, joy, and peace

You say: "My life is full of suffering." But I say to you or, rather, it is the Lord himself who says: "Be humble and you will see that your troubles will turn to rest" to the point that you will be amazed at yourself and will say: "Why on earth did I used to be so distressed and afflicted?" Now you are happy because you have become humble and divine grace has come to you; now, even though you may be alone in your poverty, joy will never leave you since you have that peace in your soul of which the Lord said: "My peace I give to you." (John 14:27) This is how the Lord gives peace to all humble souls.
-- Saint Silouan (1866-1938), Orthodox monk

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

free web hit counter