Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Silent Night

I've come to the conclusion that the only silent night of the year is the evening of Christmas Day.
All of the stores are closed -- virtually no traffic on the streets -- no church services.

Even the "snow emergency" was in hiatus until the day after.
The streets were not plowed -- I only got stuck once.

The only activity to be seen was in the homes that were lit up.
Kids playing with their new toys -- adults looking for leftovers from dinner -- dogs outside enjoying the new snow.
I wish we had more evenings like this when the world briefly shuts down.
These are the times that call for thought and reflection on the past year -- anticipation of the new.
We need more of these times of rest.

Turn back, my soul, to your rest
for the LORD has been good,
and has kept my soul from death,
(my eyes from tears,)
my feet from stumbling.
-- Psalm 116 (Grail)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

free web hit counter