Friday, November 23, 2007

aging

Birthdays come more quickly -- Thanksgivings & Christmases more frequently -- and I sense my growing impatience about work and other infringers upon my time. Why? Is it aging? It's not that I resent work -- I just want my time to be more meaningful. That's why I appreciated the following from the Henri Nouwen Society:

Waiting patiently in expectation does not necessarily get easier as we become older. On the contrary, as we grow in age we are tempted to settle down in a routine way of living and say: "Well, I have seen it all. ... There is nothing new under the sun. ... I am just going to take it easy and take the days as they come." But in this way our lives lose their creative tension. We no longer expect something really new to happen. We become cynical or self-satisfied or simply bored.

The challenge of aging is waiting with an ever-greater patience and an ever- stronger expectation. It is living with an eager hope. It is trusting that through Christ "we have been admitted into God's favour ... and look forward exultantly to God's glory" (Romans 5:2).

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

free web hit counter