Thursday, August 17, 2006

what would Jesus drive

How can we stay up to date & know what the "younger generation" is thinking? One way is to read their blogs. The following is from a favorite of mine, "am I just imagining ..."

My friend, Emily, heard a joke the other day that goes like this.

Q: What kind of car would Jesus drive?

A: A van that seats 13.

Now, I wouldn't necessarily call this a funny joke, but somehow it sparked a lot of discussion between me and the friends. First, we pictured Judas banished to the very back seat. You know, the one that faces the opposite direction of everyone else. We saw bumper stickers of the expected fish and some with catchy lines like "What Would I Do?" or "Honk If You Love Me!" or "Jesus Recycles" plastered to the van. Also, we imagined Jesus wearing a t-shirt saying "I'm With Stupid" with a magic arrow that always points to Judas. Jesus could even start his own lucrative line of merchandise. As he tours countries with his disciples in a traveling road show, they could earn their keep by setting up and manning the merch table at each location. He could even promote himself through MySpace. Now, I see Jesus wanting speakers on the outside of the van so he could blast Christian rock to let people know he's around, kind of like the ice cream man, but Em scoffed at this. She thinks Jesus is too cool for Christian rock and would put on Wolfmother or something. This led to a debate about the musical tastes of Jesus. Yes, we are smarties who use their time wisely.

If you haven't seen "Little Miss Sunshine," you should. It's hilarious and a little sad, and I love it. I could totally see Jesus driving the VW from that movie.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

free web hit counter