Friday, August 25, 2006

Have a good day!

Each morning as I walk with our big black Lab, Lucy, I pass a group of school children waiting for a bus. For the most part, they stand like statues staring off into space, a few huddled together, hands in pockets. As I pass them I always say, “Have a good day!”―but it seems to fall on deaf ears. One day, Lucy ventured up to them, sniffing as usual, and a small hand went out and touched her on the head. “Have a good day!” I said. As the mornings passed a few more hands searched for Lucy’s head, and I asked a small girl if she would like to pet Lucy and was greeted by a very small nod. “Have a good day!” As a few weeks passed, the stopping and petting became a routine, “Have a good day!” I greeted, and as I continued on my way, I heard a very small voice say, “You, too!”
Sister Terese
Carmelites of Indianapolis
Pray the news

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

free web hit counter